Monday, June 23, 2014

Just, get on the bus!

I can't remember if I mentioned this in an earlier post, but in Switzerland, bus city drivers don' check passenger riding tickets. You can just literally get on the bus. It's the straight up "honors system" over here; they assume if you have hopped in the back of the bus, you have purchased the proper ticket to ride. The transportation department believes this helps traffic flow better (instead of bus drivers stopping to check tickets/taking payments), and I agree.
Unfortunately, I do not believe this same concept would work in the United States because...heck, I'll admit it; I wouldn't even buy a bus ticket. Before you start packing your bags to move to Switzerland for free bus fair, I think it is important to mention police officers do random checks. If passengers are caught without the proper riding tickets, they have to pay a +100 dollar fine on spot or they get put in jail. However, I’ve ridden the bus about 5 times already, I’ve never been checked (jinx!).

OK, that’s all I have to say today.







JUST KIDDING (LOL)!

Yesterday, we finally arrived in Geneva, and it is pricey here. I’m burning through Swiss Francs left and right. We’re staying at the Best Western –Strasbourg. I figured I would put that out there in case of an emergency, and I need somebody to come pick me up.

Upon arrival, all the students participating in HSC 516 had a dinner orientation. Outside of the free meal (Who doesn’t like free food?), the best part was we found out we can return to the World Health Organization anytime, after this trip, to do additional research or intern. As a health administration doctoral student, the World Health Organization is the Mecca! So, this is a big deal. We have a good group; so, it should be a fun week.

Today, was our actual first day visiting the World Health Organization, and can you say “System Overload?” There were so many dynamic speakers, and all of them focused on global health. I was in 110% nerd mode. I could write 20 more blogs about all the stuff I learned and my impressions. The global aspect is so big to me. Like, it’s great to focus on helping those in America but that’s not the whole world. OK, maybe I have too much “Michael Jackson (heal the world)” in me. I’m off my soap box. The main takeaway is I did some serious elbow rubbing to hopefully get a new job. We even were able to go within the Strategic Health Operations Center (SHOC): http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/30502828#30502828

Only officially 1 day in, the experience has by far exceeded my expectations. I can’t stop thanking the man above for showing me so much favor; I don’t take anything for granite.